How do I get Life Insurance on my Ex-Husband?
In the following article we will address how to get life insurance on your ex-husband.
Typically, when we’re asked the question “can I get life insurance for my ex-husband?” it’s usually because the person calling in is worried about what would happen themselves and possibly and dependent children that they are still caring for if their ex-husband passed away without any life insurance.
Ideally, you are considering life insurance for a divorce decree or settlement which will cover you or your child as the primary beneficiary.
- Do you still receive child support from your ex-husband?
- How about alimony payments?
- Do you still have any debt that you still share together?
- Mortgage debt?
- Student loan debt?
- Credit Card debt?
- Etc, etc…
If there wasn’t any insurance in place, do you have a plan in place to make sure everything would be taken care of?
In situations like these, the un-insured may be un-insured because:
- They have some type of pre-existing condition, that may make qualifying for life insurance more difficult.
- They don’t feel that they need insurance.
- They may simply not “believe” in life insurance.
- Or they may still harbor some negative feelings about the break up and aren’t interested in getting life insurance at all!
This is why it can be difficult to get these individuals involved in the process of getting insured! After all, depending on the type of life insurance being applied for, getting approved might be considered too much work for these individuals who aren’t interested in getting insured in the first place! The good news is, if you follow some basic guidelines, buying life insurance for someone else is possible.
The Real Question Behind “Can I buy life insurance for my ex-husband?”
We’ve found that most of the time when we’re asked, “Can I buy life insurance on my ex-husband?” the person is asking the question because their “ex” just won’t seem to get life insurance on their own.
It could be because they don’t:
- Think they need it.
- Don’t like doctors.
- Don’t trust insurance companies.
- Or think it’s too creepy to talk about how the will one day eventually pass away.
- Or don’t want to spend another penny on their “ex”.
Truth is people will make up a million different reasons to avoid buying life insurance but that doesn’t change the fact that one day, everyone including your ex-husband will die.
100% of all Americans will eventually die, of those only 52% will have life insurance in place when they do.
So by asking “Can I buy life insurance on my significant other?” what one is usually asking is:
“Can I get life insurance on my ex-husband without him really taking an “active” role in the process?”
Short answer: Yes.
Complete answer: It depends.
How can I buy life insurance on my ex-husband?
Let’s just assume that your ex-husband is OK with you getting life insurance on him, but they’re just not going to go out of their way to make it easy.
In cases like these, there are a few different insurance companies that will offer complete term life insurance coverage up to $500,000 that would go in force within 24 hours after a brief phone interview.
In our experiences, we’ve found that if you can:
- Eliminate the need for a complete medical exam,
- Allow everything to be completed over the phone in just a few minutes.
- And get rid of the long approval process, even the most stubborn applicant can be persuaded to get insured!
- See the top 10 best no medical exam life insurance policies
What if my ex-husband doesn’t want to pay the premium?
This happens all the time, a ex-wife will often pay the premium for their ex-husband just so that they can be sure that the policy remains in effect.
Attention: Insurance companies get a little sensitive about this one. After all, insurance carriers don’t really want to find themselves allowing someone to insure another individual without the insured having knowledge of the fact. For this reason, some carriers (but not all) may require the initial premium payment to be made by the insured, and then switched to another individual after the first premium is received.
This is where working with TermLife2Go can make all the difference in the world because with dozens of different top rated best life insurance companies to choose from, we’re sure to find one with a payment method that will work for even the most difficult of situations.
Leave a Comment