Call Today! 888-234-8376
Life Insurance for Those With Ankylosing Spondylitis
With only about .1% to 1.4% of Americans actually being diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis it’s no wonder that most life insurance agents aren’t going to have a ton of experience working these “types” of applicants.
Which means that…
If you’ve been diagnosed with a pre-existing medical condition like ankylosing spondylitis, you may find it difficult to meet an agent who is going to know how to best “prepare” your life insurance application, and know what questions the insurance companies are likely to ask prior to offering you coverage. This is why we’ve chosen to write this article so that you the consumer will know what should be happening during your application process.
Ankylosing Spondylitis Defined:
Ankylosing spondylitis is a relatively rare form of spinal arthritis that has been found to primarily affect young Caucasian males. Typical cases will present themselves between the ages of 17 and 45, however it is possible for both children and older adults to also “contract” the condition.
Common symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis will include an abnormal stiffening and immobility of the joints due to the fusion of the associated bones. Patients may also experience pain in the joints, blurred vision or sensitivity to light, as well as fatigue, inflammatory bowel disease and physical deformities.
Treatment will often consist of physical therapy and stretching exercises, as well as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, immunosuppressive drug therapy as well as other anti-inflammatory and steroid medications.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for ankylosing spondylitis as of yet, however researchers do seem to be learning more each and every day and while they have not yet determined the cause of ankylosing spondylitis, they do believe it may be linked to the HLA B27 gene.
Call Today 888-234-8376
The good news is that…
For those who have been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, you should still be eligible for a traditional term or whole life insurance quote.
In fact, depending the severity of your condition, individuals who have been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis may even be eligible for a Preferred rate class as well!
So before you apply for that simplified issue or guaranteed issue life insurance, please keep reading.
That being said however…
Insurance companies are going to ask a series of questions regarding your condition so that they can get a better understanding of how “severe” your case may be.
Common questions you’ll likely be asked will include:
- How old were you when you were first diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis?
- How long have you been treating you ankylosing spondylitis?
- What symptoms are you experiencing as a result of your condition?
- Do you suffer from any physical deformities?
- How often do your visit your primary care physician?
- What medications/treatments are you currently receiving to treat your ankylosing spondylitis?
- In the past 12 months have you been hospitalized for any reasons?
- Are your currently working now?
- In the past 12 months have you applied for or received any type of disability benefits?
These questions will generally provide a pretty accurate picture of the severity of your pre-existing condition, and when combined with other typical life insurance questions, will be used to determine what type of “risk” you’ll pose to the insurance company.
Typical life insurance application questions that will be asked of all applicants regardless of any pre-existing condition they may or may not have will usually include:
- How old are you?
- What is your current height and weight?
- Have you used any tobacco or nicotine products within the past 12 months?
- Have you used any marijuana products in the past 12 months?
- Aside from ankylosing spondylitis, have you ever been diagnosed with any other pre-existing medical conditions?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, stroke or diabetes?
- Has any of your immediate family members (mother, father, brother, sister) ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, stroke, or diabetes?
- Do you have any issues with your driving record such as a suspended license, multiple moving violations and/or DUI?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
- Do you participate in any dangerous activities or hobbies such as hang gliding, bungee jumping or rock climbing?
- And in the next 2 years do you plan on traveling outside of the United States? This question is asked so that the insurance company can determine if you have any plans to travel to any dangerous locations such as North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Syria, etc…
Now since we…
Here at TermLife2Go are pretty familiar with how the life insurance application process works, we like to ask many of the same questions of our clients so that we can get a general idea about what “rate” you may or may not qualify for.
We also use the answer to these questions to help us begin to narrow down which life insurance company is going to offer you the best “price” for your coverage.
So, what are you waiting for? Give us a call today or visit our Life Insurance Policy Quotes page and see what we can do for you!
You may also be interested in reading one of our more popular article TermLife2Go's Best Final Expense and Burial Insurance Companies.