Pradaxa is one of those “Quirky” medications that can often times “trip” up a new life insurance agent or an agent that doesn’t frequently work with a lot of “high risk” applicants simply because in general, Pradaxa is one of those medications where it “could” mean that an applicant will be ineligible for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy, or it could be a “non-issue” depending on why it’s being used!
This is because…
Pradaxa (dabigatran) is a prescription anticoagulant (blood thinner) that is used to reduce the formation of blood clots to prevent heart attacks, strokes and blood clots in veins and arteries.
Pradaxa works by keeping platelets found in the blood from coagulating which helps to prevent unwanted blood clots to occur.
So the million dollar question then becomes…
Are you using your Pradaxa because you looking to avoid a heart attack and stroke because:
- You believe that you have an elevated risk of suffering from a heart attack or stroke? In which case, the insurance companies are definitely going to be interested in what those risk factors are?
- Or are you using your Pradaxa because you’ve already suffered from a heart attack and/or stroke and don’t want to suffer from another. If this is the case, insurance companies are clearly going to be interested in your previous medical history.
So whatcha got?
It’s pretty safe to say that if you’ve just recently suffered from a heart attack or stroke (within the past 6 months) most if not all insurance companies are going to want to wait a while and see how well you rebound from this event.
Then after 6 months to a year, some insurance companies will be willing to take a look and see if you may now qualify for a “traditional” term or whole life insurance policy. At this point, factors such as:
- Your age,
- Your currently height and weight,
- Your current blood pressure and cholesterol levels,
- Your family history,
- Your latest EKG,
- And your latest cardiac stress test,
Will all come into play in determining your eligibility for a new life insurance policy.
An important side note…
Insurance companies will be much more likely to insure those who have demonstrated “over time” that they’re health has improved since their original “medical event” that caused Pradaxa to be prescribed.
Which means that even if you’ve been denied life insurance in the past, you may be eligible for it now particularly if you’re last denial was a year or two ago.
Since Pradaxa is also used to treat a wide variety of circulatory and cardiac medical conditions, it’s quite possible that not only will you be eligible for life insurance, you might even be able to qualify for a Preferred rate!
(Pradaxa really is one of those “few” medications that can really give a new or inexperienced life insurance agent a head ache.)
Best way to determine what you’ll be able to qualify for….
The best way to determine what you’ll be able to qualify for is simply give us a call. This way we’ll be able to ask question like:
- Why were you originally prescribed Pradaxa?
- How old were you when you were first prescribed Pradaxa?
- Have you ever suffered from a heart attack or stroke? If so how long ago?
- How long have you been taking Pradaxa?
- Who prescribed your Pradaxa, a general practitioner or a cardiologist?
- In the past 12 months have you been hospitalized for any reason?
- How often do you visit your primary care physician?
- Do any of your immediate family member (mother, father, brother, or sister) have a history of suffering from a heart attack or stroke?
- What is your current height and weight?
- In the past 12 months have you used any tobacco or nicotine products?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months have you applied or received any form of disability benefits?
From there, we’ll have a pretty good idea about what types of life insurance policies you’ll most likely be eligible for as well as having a pretty good idea on which life insurance company is most likely to offer you the best rate.
Here at TermLife2Go, we work as an independent life insurance brokerage that is able to work with dozens of top rated life insurance companies so that when we get presented with one of those more “challenging” cases, we don’t need to just rely on one or two different companies to get our clients a great rate. Instead, we’re able to “shop” dozens of carriers so that at the end of the day, our clients should have multiple options to choose from!
So what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!
Lastly, because you could potentially qualify for a life insurance policy that will not require you to take a medical exam, we would suggest that you to take a look at our No Medical Exam Life Insurance Quote page which will allow you compare prices multiple term and whole life insurance quotes instantly!