When you consider that fact that there are nearly 61 million women in their childbearing years (15-44) in the United States right now and nearly 16% of them actually use some type of prescription medication (AKA pill or patch) you would think that we would get more people asking us if their prescription birth control is going to affect their life insurance application.
One of the first questions asked on nearly every life insurance application is:
“Are you currently using any prescription medications?”
But the truth is most people don’t ask, in fact, most people don’t even mention that they are taking a prescription birth control when asked about their prescription medication history.
Why is this?
We’re not sure but since most if not all prescription birth control medications including Ortho Evra really aren’t going to be a factor during a typical life insurance application, it’s not something that has really caused us much concern.
About Ortho Evra?
Ortho Evra is a contraceptive skin patch containing a combination of female hormones that prevent ovulation, by causing changes in the cervical mucus and uterine lining, making it harder for sperm to reach the uterus and or a fertilized egg to attach to the uterus.
So if Ortho Evra isn’t going to affect my life insurance application, what will?
Now since it seems you may already be a bit nervous about what will and won’t actually affect your life insurance application, let’s just take a brief moment to actually review some of the more common life insurance application questions so that we can get a better idea about what may “potentially” play a role in your life insurance application outcome.
Common questions found on most traditional term and whole life insurance applications:
- How old are you?
- What is your current height and weight?
- Are you currently taking any prescription medications other than Ortho Evra?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with any pre-existing medical conditions?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, stroke or diabetes?
- Has any of your immediate family members such as your mother, father, brother, or sister ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, stroke or diabetes?
- In the past 12 months have you used any tobacco or nicotine products?
- In the past 12 months have you used any marijuana products?
- Do you have any issues with your driving record such as a suspended license, multiple moving violations or DUI?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
- Do you have any set plans to travel outside of the United States within the next 2 years? Insurance companies are concerned you may be traveling to a dangerous location like Syria, Iraq, North Korea, etc…
- In the past 2 years have you filed for or declared bankruptcy? This is a bit of a weird one, but since there is at least one major life insurance company that won’t insure those who have a bankruptcy on their record within the last 2 years, we ask so that we can rule them out as a good fit for those that have.
- Do you participate in any dangerous hobbies or activities such as hang gliding, rock climbing or bungee jumping?
- Are you currently working now?
- And in the past 12 months have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
Now as you can see, the insurance companies will as a wide variety of questions, all designed to try to determine the potential “risk” that you represent to them should they wish to provide insurance for you.
The good news is that…
Should you decide to apply for life insurance with us here at TermLife2Go, we’re also going to use these same questions that the insurance companies use, however, for our purposes, we’re going to be using these questions to help us “weed out” those insurance companies that may not be the best fit for you.
Here at TermLife2Go, we work as an independent life insurance brokerage that is able to work with dozens of highly rated life insurance companies. Which means that when it comes time to finding you the best possible life insurance policy out there, we’re going to have dozens to choose from!
Who’s ready to see how much their insurance is going to cost?
If you are, just check out our Free Online Life Insurance Quotes page which will allow you to see dozens of different life quotes from dozens of different life insurance companies instantly without having to wait for a phone call or an email!
So what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!