For those who are currently having a difficult time getting approved for life insurance, you may also want to read the following articles which focus on difficult to place insurance policies: 10 Great Final Expense Insurance companies, Our 10 Best No Medical Exam Life Insurance Companies, and Tips to a Great Life Insurance Quote.
Whenever we get a call in from a potential client who is wondering if their prescription for Neurontin is going to play a role in the potential outcome of their life insurance application, we always know that it’s going to come down to 2 things.
- First, why are they taking Neurontin?
- Second, what is the severity of the condition that they are treating.
Neurontin is prescription, anti-epileptic medication that is used to most commonly to treat seizures caused by epilepsy. That being said however, on occasion, Neurontin will also be used to treat some type of pain conditions.
So whatcha got?
Knowing why you’ve been prescribed Neurontin will go a long way towards determining what role it will play during your life insurance application. With that said, let’s take a look at each conditions separately.
Epilepsy by itself is will not be considered a “disqualifying” medical condition by the life insurance industry. Rather what will potentially disqualify an epileptic client from being able to qualify for a fully underwritten term or whole life insurance policy will be the severity of their condition.
For this reason, it’s important to ask a series of questions designed to learn more about your condition. Questions such as:
- How old were you when you suffered your first seizure?
- How long have you been taking Neurontin to treat your seizures?
- Are you using any other prescription medications in addition to your Neurontin?
- In the past 12 months have you used any type of marijuana products?
- When was your last seizure?
- How many seizures have you had in the past 12 months?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for your seizures?
- Do you have a driver’s license?
- Do you have any issues on your driver’s license? Such as suspended license, multiple moving violations or DUI?
From there, we’ll generally have a pretty good idea about the severity of your epilepsy as well as which life insurance products you’ll most likely qualify for. Additionally, we’ll also have a pretty good idea about whether or not an insurance company will likely want to order medical records from your primary care physician before making a final decision.
Typical outcomes for those applying for life insurance with epilepsy:
Very mild epileptic clients will generally be defined as a someone who has only had one small seizure over the past 10 years ago, and who takes only one if any medications to treat their epilepsy.
If this sounds like you then know that you could qualify for the best rate class, preferred plus or super preferred.
Most well controlled clients who have a history of absence seizures, (i.e. petit mal), and who have not had a seizure in the last two years, will come back at a standard rate class.
The more serious sufferers qualify at a below standard rate class or may need to consider a burial life insurance policy where there is no medical exam and no health questions. Consider coverage from one of the top burial and final expense insurance companies.
Pain management Neurontin users:
For those who are using Neurontin to manage pain, insurance companies are typically going to ask questions such as:
- What is the root cause of your pain?
- How long have you been using Neurontin?
- Has your prescription for Neurontin changed over the past 12 months?
- How long do you anticipate using Neurontin?
- Do you have any history of drug or alcohol abuse?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
Then with these questions in hand the insurance companies will again begin to be able to determine what types of life insurance policies you’ll be eligible for as well as if they’ll need to order your medical records prior to being able to make a definitive decision about your application.
The good news is that…
Regardless of your condition, we here at TermLife2Go have the experience and expertise to assist you. Additionally, we’ve partnered up with dozens of highly rated life insurance companies so that when we’re confronted with one of those more “challenging” cases, we’ll have plenty of options to choose from so that when it comes time for you to decide what type of life insurance policy you want, you’ll have plenty of options.
So what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!
Now as we stated before, here at TermLife2Go, we work with dozens of the “best” life insurance companies in the nation, so if you like to see how these companies compare to one another, simply visit our quoter: Best Term Life Insurance Quotes and then just give us a call when your ready to move forward.