While we don’t get a ton of calls from folks asking us if their Lumigan (bimatroprost), a prescription medication used to treat certain types of glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eyes, will affect their life insurance application, we have had enough people for us to warrant writing a brief article about it. So… here we go!
Will your Lumiga prescription affect your life insurance application?
Lumigan (bimatoprost) is a prescription medication used to treat certain types of glaucoma and other causes of high pressure inside the eyes. Lumigan helps reduce the internal eye pressure in by increasing the amount of fluid that is able to drain away from the eyes drains from the eyes.
And Unlike many other types of prescription medications….
Lumigan isn’t used to treat a variety of conditions which could potentially concern a life insurance company. This is why, simply having a prescription for Lumigan isn’t going to raise any “red flags” during your life insurance application and why its use shouldn’t play a role in the outcome of your application.
Glaucoma is generally defined as a condition in which the internal “intraocular pressure” of the eye is elevated above normal levels. This increased pressure if left “unchecked” can damage the optic never which can eventually lead to permanent loss of vision.
Without treatment, glaucoma, can cause total permanent blindness within a few years.
So if Lumaigan, isn’t going to play a role in your life insurance application, what will?
Factors that will typically come into play during most fully underwritten term or whole life insurance policies will include things such as:
- Your age?
- Your current height and weight?
- Have you been previously diagnosed with any medical conditions?
- Is your glaucoma the result a “normal” increase of intraocular pressure or is it a symptom of some larger medical issue such as poor blood flow to the eye?
- Have you been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, a stroke or diabetes?
- Has any of your immediate family members ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, stroke or cancer?
- In the past 2 years have you been hospitalized for any reason?
- Do you us any tobacco or nicotine products? Or more importantly have you in the past 12 months used any tobacco or nicotine products?
- Have you in the past 12 months used any type of marijuana products? Now we don’t want to get into a “theoretical discussion” on the pro’s and con’s of marijuana use for glaucoma patients, we just want to know if you do use marijuana so that we can direct you to the appropriate life insurance company that won’t discriminate against you for using it.
- Do you have any issues with your driver’s license, such as a suspended license, multiple moving violations, or DUI?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
- Do you have any set plans to travel outside of the United States in the next two years? For this one the insurance companies simply don’t want to insure someone that is traveling to a “dangerous” location such as Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan. So no need to cancel your cruise to Jamaica!
- In the past 2 years have you ever filed for or declared bankruptcy? Yes, we know that this is a weird one but some insurance companies use this in their underwriting.
- Do you actively participate in any dangerous activities such as rock climbing, sky diving, or bungee jumping?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
Now as you can see, insurance companies are pretty thorough in their initial life insurance application questions. For the insurance companies, these questions are designed to do two things. First they’re designed to determine eligibility and second, they’re used to determine the price one will need to pay to purchase their life insurance.
The TermLife2Go “twist”…
What you’ll notice when you decide to work with TermLife2Go is that we’re also going to use these same “type” of questions as well. The only difference is that in addition to trying to determine eligibility and price, we’re also going to use these questions to “weed out” those life insurance companies that simply aren’t going to offer you the best “fit” for your situation.
Here at TermLife2Go, we’ve chosen to remain an independent life insurance brokerage that is able to work with dozens of highly rated life insurance companies which means that if you find that you’re suddenly being discriminated against because you:
- Love to go bungee jumping.
- Or you have a prescription medication card,
- Or you declared bankruptcy a year and a half ago.
- Or because for some reason an insurance company doesn’t feel you’re PERFECT!
We here at TermLife2Go will simply move on to Plan B and look at a different life insurance company. That is why we choose to work with some many life insurance companies, it’s not because it makes our life any easier, it simply so that we can offer our clients dozens of opportunities for success!
So what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!
Lastly, for those who would like to get an idea about how much their life insurance might cost before speaking with an agent, we would recommend that they check out our Instant Life Insurance Quotes page when you have a few moments to spare.