According to the CDC, nearly 70 million Americans today suffer from high blood pressure or hypertension.
Now while this number is pretty shocking, what’s even worse is that only about 52% of these folks actually have their blood pressure under control!
With that said, we’ll tell you right now, we here at TermLife2Go would much rather work a client who has already been prescribed Clonidine simple because:
- They’ve already diagnosed have high blood pressure.
- And, they’re actually doing something to control their high blood pressure!
You see it’s much harder to with clients who firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with them even though they haven’t had a physical in nearly 30 years!
And the good news is…
That assuming you choose to apply for a life insurance policy with the “right company”, you’ll still have a really good chance at qualifying for a “Preferred” or “Preferred Plus”. That is of course if your blood pressure is under control and that you’re in otherwise good shape.
But not all insurance companies are created equal…
It should be noted at this point that not all insurance companies operate the same. Meaning that some insurance companies underwriting guidelines when it comes to hypertension, may be more strict than other. Which is why it helps to have multiple options when applying and it helps when your life insurance agent knows what the insurance underwriters are going to be looking for.
Three helpful factors…
Insurance companies in general are going to be looking for three things when it comes time to determining how well your blood pressure is being controlled.
1st: They’ll want to test your blood pressure levels.
2nd: They’ll want to see that your blood pressure has been well controlled for at least 6 months.
3rd: They’ll also like to see that your prescription medications have remained stable for at least 6 months.
Now we don’t want to…
Suggest that if you’ve recently changed your medication or you don’t have the “perfect” blood pressure levels, that you can’t qualify for a life insurance policy, because that simply isn’t the case.
It’s just that for those without really well controlled blood pressure, it’s going to make the application process a bit more complicated and might be more difficult to qualify for a “preferred” rate.
What else will be important…
Now, since we’ve established that your Clonidine prescription doesn’t have to play a major role in the application process, let’s just take a brief look at some other factors that could play a role:
Important life insurance application questions:
- Current height and weight?
- In the past 12 months have you used any tobacco or nicotine products?
- Have you been diagnosed with any other medical conditions other than high blood pressure? For example: cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes?
- Have you been prescribed any other prescription medications other than Clonidine?
- Are you currently working?
- In the past 12 months have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
- Do you have any issues with your driving record, such as multiple moving violations or DUI’s within the past 3 years?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
- In the past 12 months have you used any marijuana products?
- In the past 2 years have you ever, or do you anticipate in the next 2 years participating in any dangerous hobbies such as sky diving, bungie jumping or rock climbing?
As you can see a typically life insurance policy is going to ask a wide assortment of questions to determine what type of “risk” you’ll pose as a client for a life insurance company. Which means that there will also be a lot of factors that will come into play when determining which life insurance company is best for you, provided that you’re working with an agent who actually has options to choose from!
What we do here at TermLife2Go….
At TermLife2Go, we’ve chosen to remain an independent life insurance brokerage that is able to work with dozens of highly rated life insurance companies.
If you decide to apply for life insurance with us, not only are we going to walk you through all of your options, we’re also going to help you “shop” dozens of different life insurance carriers simultaneously so that you’ll have multiple options to choose from rather than just be stuck with that “ONE” company that you “HOPED” would give you a great rate.
So what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!
Lastly, we would encourage you to visit our Life Insurance Quotes page where you’ll be able to instantly compare life insurance quotes from companies that will require a medical exam vs companies that won’t require a medical simultaneously!