Call Today! 888-234-8376
Can I Buy Life Insurance on My Mother?
Yes, the short answer is you can buy life insurance on your mother or father in some circumstances. If you want to purchase life insurance on the life of a parent, they'll have to know you're doing so. You'll need your mother's or father's written consent.
Why Do People Buy Life Insurance on their Parents?
Typically, when we’re asked the question “can I get life insurance for my parents?” or "I want to get life insurance for my mother or father" it’s usually because the person calling in is worried about what would happen if their parent were to pass away without life insurance.
- Who would pay for their burial or cremation?
- How would her/his heirs survive “financially” after she/he was gone?
After all, if there isn’t any life insurance in place the question then becomes, "Is there a plan in place to make sure everyone would be taken care of in the event of your parent’s death?" The good news is, you can buy life insurance on someone else, you just need to know how.
In situations like these, the uninsured parent may be uninsured because:
- They have some type of pre-existing condition preventing them from being able to find coverage or find affordable coverage.
- They don’t feel that they need to have any life insurance.
- Or they may simply not believe that life insurance is important.
This is why it can be difficult to get life insurance for mom or dad when they don’t want to be involved in the process of getting insured.
After all, depending on the types of life insurance being applied for, getting approved for life insurance may be considered too much work for these individuals who aren’t all that interested in getting insured in the first place!
Call Today 888-234-8376
The Real Question Behind “Can I buy life insurance for my parents?”
We’ve found that most of the time when we’re asked, “Can I buy life insurance for my parents?” the person is asking the question because their parents just won’t seem to get life insurance on their own.
It may be due to reasons such as:
- They don't think they need it
- He/She doesn’t like doctors
- They don’t trust insurance companies
- You parents think it’s too creepy to talk about how they will one day die
- They don’t believe they can afford any life insurance in the first place
And the truth is, people will make up a million different reasons to avoid buying life insurance. But that doesn’t change the fact that one day, everyone, including your parents, will die.
How can I buy life insurance on my parents?
Let’s just assume that your mother/father is OK with you getting life insurance on her/him. They're OK with it, but they're not going to go out of their way to make it easy for you or the insurance company.
In cases like these, there are a few different insurance companies that will offer complete term life insurance coverage up to $500,000 that would go in force within 24 hours after a brief phone interview.
In our experiences, we’ve found that if you can:
- Eliminate the need for a complete medical exam,
- Allow everything to be completed over the phone in just a few minutes, and
- Get rid of the long approval process, even the most stubborn applicant can be persuaded to get insured
What if my parents aren’t willing to pay the premium themselves?
This happens all the time.
Getting life insurance on parents might be hindered by the fact that they don’t have the funds or do not agree to pay for the life insurance. Which is why a family member will often decide that they would like to pay for the life insurance for their loved one, so that there will be insurance in place when the time comes.
Note: Insurance companies get a little sensitive about this one. After all, insurance carriers don’t really want to find themselves allowing someone to insure another individual without the insured having knowledge of the fact. For this reason, some carriers (but not all) may require the initial payment to be made by the insured, and then switched to another individual after the first premium is collected.