You watch them on TV, and maybe secretly dream about what it would be like to star on one, but have you ever wondered how you really get on a game show? Game show contestants are real people just like you – and you too can become a game show contestant and make money fast. All you have to do is try!
Become a Game Show Contestant
Make a list of game shows you like.
Not everyone can be eligible for every game show. Some game shows take basic skills or even teammates. Decide what shows you like – and you are eligible for – and make a list. These are the shows you have the best shot of getting on.
Apply for a game show.
In this day and age, most game shows have their own websites or phone apps. There you will find an application form or process. Each show is a little bit different, but usually the first step is filling out some kind of form.
Game Shows Currently Casting Contestants
- $100,000 Pyramid
- Casting for the $100,000 Pyramid with host Michael Strahan is going on right now. You can apply here.
- American Ninja Warrior 9
- ANW is currently taking applications here.
- Applications for seasong 9 are due by January 2.
- Eligibility Requirements for ANW 9:
- A legal resident of the U.S.
- At least 21 years old.
- Be in good health and capable of participating in strenuous athletic activities.
- Available to participate in your regional qualifying round.
- Submit a clear digital photo of yourself and a VIDEO with your application.
Additionally, here’s where you can find information about being a contestant on some of the most popular game shows:
- You can apply online here or find out more details on how to be a contestant on Survivor in 2017.
- You will need to have a video and picture ready when you apply.
- First prize winner on Survivor gets a cool one million dollars.
- Wheel of Fortune:
- Fill this form to apply to be a contestant on Wheel of Fortune
- Register, prepare and take a test for a chance to be a contestant on Jeopardy.
- The Price is Right:
- The Price Is Right chooses contestants from their live studio audience, however, you can also win prizes from home by entering here
- The Amazing Race:
- Grab a partner, make a video, and enter to compete on The Amazing Race.
- With a potential two million dollar grand prize for the winning team, The Amazing Race truly is amazing.
- Let’s Make a Deal:
- Another great option to make some fast money. You can check out more info here.
- Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!
- Potential contestants can go here.
- Legal residents 18 years and older
Paying Taxes on Game Show Prizes.
Before you blow all your prize money (or just excitedly store it up in the bank), be sure that you understand you have to pay tax on your winnings. First, you will have to pay federal tax. This is just ordinary income tax. However, if you win big, you may even be bumped up into a higher tax bracket, making you pay more tax on your entire income.
Taxes get tricky state to state. Many game shows are filmed in California. If you earn an income in California (such as winnings), but are not a resident, you have to pay 10% tax on your income. Then, you will have to pay your home state’s income tax as well.
To avoid having to pay later, you can usually opt to have taxes deducted before you receive the prize.
What if I win a TV, Car, or other item?
You still have to pay tax even if you win something other than money. This presents a problem for many people who win an item of high value such as a car since you are required to pay tax on the retail value of the prize. Your only option may be to sell the prize in order to pay the tax.
How to Get Tickets for The Price is Right
Since The Price is Right chooses contestants from their live studio audience, you must simply acquire tickets to a show for a chance to be on it. Tickets for The Price is Right are free. To get your tickets please check their official ticket page. You can buy tickets to The Price is Right Live on Ticketmaster.
How much can you win on a game show?
Well, this is a question a lot of people want to know, but the answer is pretty broad. You might go on a game show and not win a single penny.
On the other hand, you could go on “Who wants to be a millionaire?” and win a million dollars!
The best way to know how much money you could win on a game show is by reading up on the show you plan on going on. Learn the rules of the game show and also research the winnings of past contestants. Watching a few episodes (or even better, an entire season) can give you a pretty good idea as to how much money you might win on the game show you want to appear on.
You might be wondering why a life insurance company is giving you advice how to get on a game show. The reason why is because many people who want life insurance may feel they don’t have enough money in their budget to purchase it. Getting on a game show is a valid way to make money – money that you could invest in an affordable life insurance policy.
We’ve also found that people who get to fulfill some of their bucket list items – like going on a game show – are usually more fulfilled in life. And that’s something we hope for, for each and every one of our clients.
This is why we’ve written this article and many others like it, so that in addition to helping folks find a great life insurance policy if they need one, perhaps we can also help people find things to make their life more fulfilling, so they will live a long and happy life.